The Mid-Ohio Valley Multi-Cultural Festival was established to help us all learn about and appreciate various cultures, including your own, whatever culture that may be. If we are exposed to different ways of living, we become more aware of who we are and how we live. So we are asking you to tell a story about culture through essay.
2016-2017 High school seniors in Wood County, WV or Washington County, OH who plan to continue their education
1. AWARD: $500
2. Attendance of the student and teacher at the Award Ceremony at the Mid-Ohio Valley Multi-Cultural Festival on Friday, June 16, 2017 to accept the award
3. Essays will be on display at the MOVMCF on June 17 & 18 (Sat & Sun)
• I believe that every person has worth as an individual.
• I believe that every person is entitled to dignity and respect, regardless of race or color.
• I believe that every thought and every act of racial prejudice is harmful; if it is my thought or act, then it is harmful to me as well as to others.
• Therefore, from this day forward I will strive daily to eliminate racial prejudice from my
thoughts and actions.
• I will discourage racial prejudice by others at every opportunity.
• I will treat all people with dignity and respect; and I will strive daily to honor this pledge, knowing that the world will be a better place because of my effort.
Essays should be based on one of the following questions related to the Birmingham Pledge: http://www.thebirminghampledge.org/birmingham-pledge.PDF
Topic 1: What is your reaction to the Birmingham Pledge? Do you think people being disrespected or mistreated because of their race, cultural heritage, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, or other characteristic is a problem in this area? Several years ago, Parkersburg put up signs proclaiming itself to be an inclusive community. Do you think your community is an inclusive community? Explain. What could it do to become a more inclusive community?
Topic 2: What is institutional racism and what are some examples? As you learned more about various situations, what was your reaction?
Topic 3: Are you willing to take the Birmingham Pledge? Do you remember when you first realized people were sometimes treated differently because of their race? What did that experience mean to you? Have you had conversations around race that affected you, or perhaps where you were able to influence someone else? What would be difficult for you in living up to the pledge?
Student must submit a completed entry form.
Length: 2-3 typed pages, double-spaced.
The student’s name should NOT be on the essay.
Essays are to be student-written.
MOVMCF Committee members or their designees will judge.
Essays will be judged on the basis of authenticity and self-reflection, clarity, and effective and thoughtful expression, as well as addressing the topic.
Questions? Contact MOVMCF Representative Charlotte Owens, firstname.lastname@example.org, (304)482-0626
Please submit your essay by May 26, 2017 to email@example.com ; please put “MOVMCF Scholarship” and your name in the subject line. Please put the entry form information in the e-mail, or attach it in a separate form from the essay. Remember to attach your essay. Please send your essay in Word, or PDF, without your name on the essay.
Come to the City Park and take a trip around the world!
Guidelines for 2017 MOVMCF Essay Contest – Sponsored by
Deadline: May 26th